March 5, 2017
Welcome back to Kids Get Crafty – this week we have our very special Grass Heads – Bill & Ben the Flowerpot men…. we made the grass heads about 3 weeks ago now.. and have been watching the hair grow and chop chop chopping it and trim trim trimming it off. Red Ted LOVES them! He was a bit skeptical at first (he saw my old tights in dismay), but soon was rather pleased with out DIY Grass Head creations. They are a perfect craft for Spring, but you can make throughout Spring and Summer – maybe a nice project to help keep Summer boredom at bay? Also… we have since got a post on some fabulous Grass Caterpillars. They are so so so fun! Similarly you may also enjoy these cute Wellie Planters!! A fun way to upcycle much loved old wellies!
school src="http://www.redtedart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Grass-Head-for-kids.jpg" alt="Grass Heads for Kids - these Grass Heads are so so easy cute outfits for middle school tumblr photo to make and super fun to watch grow and care for. A great art come science activity for kids. Teaching them about looking after plants too! How to Make Grass Heads!">
Note: these easy grass heads were first shared in April 2012, I have updated the post and reshared it for your convenience!
Either watch the Grass Head Video How.. or check out the step by step photos!
Grass Heads – Materials required:
- Old tights/ stockings
- Some compost or earth
- Grass seads
- Rubber band or thread
- for decorating – googly eyes, felt
- A pot for your grass head to sit in!
How to make your Grass Heads:
1) Put 2-3 generous table spoons full of grass seeds at the bottom of your tights. I held the tights open. Red Ted scooped! Pip Squeak ran off with one of the tights and wasn’t to be seen again. She had her own world play time with them!
2) Then add a lot of earth until you have a nice sized ball. Tie the bottom of the tights. Shape into a ball if necessary. (PS see – both my hands – Red Ted (4) took the photo!)
3) Pinch a “nose”, twist it and wrap and tie in place with cotton. This was quite fiddly, but we got there in the end.
4) Glue on googly eyes and mouth with PVA.
5) Place in a yoghurt pot or similar – we had a paintedflower pot (with no holes). Add water and the tights will “soak the water up” into the earth. If you want to speed it up, you can give the head a quick shower under the tap to moisten the earth the first time round. After that take care not make it too wet. Place in a sunny spot!
6) Wait for hair to grow. Make sure you don’t keep the head too wet – we did at first, which meant that the mouth fell off and that the googly of didn’t dry properly for ages. It also means your grass head can get mouldy. So your head should feel moist but not soggy. Basically just add a little water to the pot every so often.
7) Cut your hair. Again and again!
Look at how much Red Ted likes them:
I reckon the Grass Heads are a success! Let’s see how long we manage to keep that hair growing!
What others are reading
Filed Under: Gardening, Kids Craft, Nature, Spring 103 Comments
Categories Select Category Art with Kids Autumn Back to School Bookmarks Card making Character Crafts Chinese New Year Christmas Clay Colouring Pages Costumes Craft Basics Craft Hacks Crochet Daily Creativity Day of the Dead Dolls House Easter Fairy Tales Father’s Day Flowers Gardening Get Crafty Gifts Gifts That Kids Can Make Halloween Handprints Hanukkah How To’s Jewellery Kids Craft Kids Get Arty Knitting Loo Rolls Mothers Day Music Nature New Year’s Eve No Sew Nursery Rhymes Olympics Origami Paper Crafts paper mache paper plates Party Ideas patterns Pets PomPoms Preschoolers Printables Quilling Rainbows Recipes Recycling salt dough Science Seasons Sewing Soap Making Spring St Particks Day stationery Stones Summer Thanksgiving Uncategorized Valentines vlogs Washi Tape Winter World Book Day Wrapping Paper
Privacy & Cookies Policy
30 Cute Hairstyles For School - SloDive Gap designer news
Kate Middleton's Most Memorable
People - Celebrity News, Exclusives
How to Become a Tumblr Girl (with)
How to Wear Converse Sneakers: 35
10 Astonishing lehenga blouse designs From Neeta Lulla
15 Best Cupcake Decorations for 2017 - Adorable Cupcake Toppers
22 Ways to Wear Neon Styles Weekly 5. Neon jewelry
Baby Boy Coats & Jackets - babyGap Outerwear Collection Gap
Best Nursery Design Ideas & Remodel Pictures Houzz
Designer Sunglasses for Women 2017 - Luxury - Farfetch
Drew Barrymore's Engagement Ring: Get
EMPORIO ARMANI LE BOOK
Fall 2017 RTW Runway Photos - m Fashion
Fashion: Must Have Boots and How to Wear Them - Pink Heels Pink Truck