List of gifts
- Bread, especially black bun, a heavy fruit cake that is sometimes used
- Olive oil
Step into the house and give the wife the broom at the door. Always give the blessing with the gift. "May your house always be clean and free of evil spirits."
2Give the man of the house the knife. This serves a dual purpose. He provides his wife a tool to make the meals, and he keeps it to defend against intruders. In ancient times this would have been a dagger with which they could cut meat and defend the house. "May your home always be protected from intruders."
- Be aware that some people believe it is bad luck to gift someone a knife, as it represents cutting and could cut the friendship or create loss. If this is of concern, attach a penny to the knife, which the recipient can then return as "payment" for the knife.
Step right on to the trapdoor of the root cellar, or go to the pantry, and give the salt to the couple. "May there always be flavor and spice in your life." Any kind of salt will do. Even the orange decorative salt is acceptable.
Walk over to the sleeping area. This is especially important if it is a new couple with no kids. Give them the rice. "May the love in your home multiply." This is for fertility and/or a long, blessed marriage.
Go to the kitchen. This is often called the heart of the house. Present the bread to the couple in the kitchen, and say "May those in your home never go hungry."
Give the couple the wine. "May you always have joy and never go thirsty." It may be symbolic. Any juice will do.
Move into the dining room. If the couple doesn't have a dining room, you can do this in the kitchen. Give them the honey. "May you always enjoy the sweetness of life."
Give the couple the olive oil. "May you be blessed with health and well-being."
Move into the living room. Give the couple the coins. "May you receive luck and good fortune." housewarming gifts the love list
Remind the couple of the stability of wood. Give them the wood. "May your home have stability, harmony, and peace."
Give the couple the candles. If possible, they should be homemade. "May you always have light through the darkest times."
Give the couple the plant. Caring for a plant gives them practice in caring for each other. If they can keep a plant alive together, they can keep a relationship together. This takes teamwork. "May your home always have life."
I was given a brass cricket when we bought our first house 30 years ago. I still have him in our second home. What was the meaning?
Crickets are a symbol of luck.Thanks!
Not Helpful 0 Helpful 0
What should I say when I give bread?
"May those in your home never go hungry." If you don't want to do it traditionally, write "I knead to tell you something. I was feeling on a roll today and wanted to give you this. I loaf that you accepted my gift."Thanks!
Not Helpful 0 Helpful 0
What is the meaning of giving coal as a housewarming gift? I was given this by my mother many years ago when I moved.
I believe that it means that the Greek goddess Hestia is blessing your house with warmth.Thanks!
Not Helpful 0 Helpful 0
Ask a Question
200 characters leftSubmit
If this question (or a similar one) is answered twice in this section, please click here to let us know.
- In the "Old Country", each gift had a specific and meaningful significance to the well being of the family. The house had one room. The front door was in the middle of the front wall. When you walked inside there was a loft to one side where the kids slept. Under that was mom and dad's bed. Against the back wall was the "kitchen", a big fireplace with the pots and pans hanging from the pegs and hooks. The broom leaned against the mantle and the candles were on top. To the right was the living area and a big table with benches. In the middle of the floor was the coat and mud-room, or sometimes sitting area. There was a trap door down to the pantry and root cellar.
- The luckiest time to present gifts to a new house was the stroke of midnight while the New Year was rung in. This is called First Footing on Hogmanay.
- These are the old traditional gifts. You might want to be more modern. But then again, anyone can be modern.
- There are additional gifts that may be added, though not as traditional. Coal for warmth, shortbread, or oil and flour, instead of bread, soap for washing and for fragrance and whiskey are among them.
- Number the gifts or label them and present them in order.
101 Ideas for Creative Thoughtful Housewarming Gifts Wallpaper hd abstract color 2017
Traditional Housewarming Gifts
Personalized Home Decor m
21 Easy Hairdos for Short Hair - PoPular Haircuts
Bedroom Design Photos HGTV
Best Bathroom Remodeling Ideas 2017 Designs Pictures
Brand/ serge - dumonten
City Living Leah s Life: Pearls and Oysters
Drake quot;s About Heartbreak eight
Infinity scarf, circle scarf, endless scarf, how, to, wear, circle,scarf
JOUES CONTRASTE - Chanel JOUES CONTRASTE cosmetic - Blush
Male External Catheters - Condom Catheter - Parentgiving