The Businessman Cut is a simple taper haircut. The hair on the top is left up to 2 inches long, depending on preference, and the sides and back of the head are tapered with scissors. The businessman cut can also be called a convertible haircut or a simple taper haircut.
The Regulation Cut is similar to the businessman cut in that the hair on the top is left long enough to allow for parting and styling. However, instead of being done in a classic taper, the hair on the sides and back is done in a high fade to low fade. The Regulation Cut was a haircut popular with soldiers in the Second World War.
The Caesar Cut can be tapered on the sides and back or left without a taper. The hair on the top is left to about one inch longer so that a fringe can be created on the forehead. If the hair on the sides has no taper, the hair is then brushed forward to create a fringe on the sides of the forehead (temples) too. The Caesar cut was a popular haircut in ancient Rome, especially with Julius Caesar.
The Fade Haircut is simple a taper on the sides and back of the head done with a hair clipper, where the fade is clipped so that the hair seems to "disappear" into the skin. A fade haircut can disappear high on the sides and back (aka high fade), low (aka low fade) or the fade be done only on the first 2 inches of the hairline (aka temple fade or Brooklyn fade).
The fade haircut is a popular among black men and one of the main constituents of the range of black mens haircuts including the hi top and the 360 waves.
The Undercut is a mens haircut where the hair on the sides and back of the head is clipped short with the same clipper number without any tapering or fading. The hair on the top of the head is usually left much longer, creating sharp angles and giving rise to the Undercut being known as a bowl haircut.
The hair on the top of the head in an Undercut is usually swept or slicked, giving rise to the slicked back undercut where the hair on the top is long enough to be styled and combed back in a slick back.
High and Tight
The High and Tight haircut is done with the sides and back of the head clipped to a #1 or #2 while the hair on the top of the head is clipped with a length that is two clipper numbers higher than the number used for the sides/back (so if the sides/back are done with a #2, the top is done with a #4). The high and tight is similar in structure to the Undercut only that the top is shorter in the high and tight.
The high and tight is a popular military haircut among the Army and Marines, who are sometimes referred to as "jarheads" because of the way this cut looks.
High and Tight recon
The High and Tight Recon (aka Recon) is a more extreme high and tight where the sides and back are clipped without a guiding comb or guard attached to the clipper as well as the top of the head is also clipped without a guiding comb/guard, except for a 2 inch wide stripe running from the middle of the forehead to the vertex (back of top of the head). This strip is clipped with a #2 or #3, and the jargon for it is a "landing strip". The Recon is almost like the "official" haircut of the Marines.
The Flat Top is a fade haircut with the hair on the top clipped in a way that when the hair on the top is lifted up, it created a flat surface. The Flat Top takes some skill to do (as do all kinds of fades) and the Flat Top is also a military haircut. The hair on the top of the Flat Top can range between half an inch to a whole 1 inch depending on preference.
Flat Top Horseshoe
The Flat Top Horseshoe, aka Flattop Horseshoe, is cut essentially the same as the Flat Top with one essential difference: the hair inside the top of the head is also clipped, except for the hair nearing the edges of the top of the head, which then creates a U shape and thus the name Horseshoe after Flattop.
High Top Fade
The High Top Fade is the Flat Top alternative for men with curly kinky hair, especially black men. The sides and back in a High Top Fade are done with a high fade (hence the name) while the top is clipped and trimmed in a way that creates a flat surface. The top can be 2 inches (still classifies as short hair) or can be as long as 6 inches or even more!
A note on short haircuts for men
While you can always ask your barber for the haircut by telling him its name, it is always best to also agree with him the exact clipper numbers you want used and how the final cut should be shaped. This is of importance because, among others, some barbers may not know the name of the cut or may know the name with other cutting instructions. For example, the crew cut in the USA is done with a backward taper on the top while in Europe the crew cut can be done with an even clipping number on the top.
Hair products for mens short haircuts
Just about each short haircut for men above can be done by yourself with a hair clipper, so it is very important that you invest in a high quality hair clipper instead of buying the cheap ones. A high quality clipper will last you years and continue to provide an excellent performance throughout its lifetime, while the cheap clippers will die and lose their power to buzz through hair, especially if you have dense or thick hair. Having your cheap clipper lose power as you try to clip your hair will become very annoying, especially once it starts pulling your head instead of slicing it.
The other cool thing about high quality clippers is that they can also be used to trim your facial hair, including your beard, so that you can match your beard and hairstyle. Usually a beard trimmer or stubble trimmer needs to be bought separate (and costing anywhere from to 0), so by buying a good hair clipper like the recommended 3 below in the list you will get more bang for your buck.
Recommended hair products
These are the products we recommend for short mens haircuts. The 3 hair clippers recommended below are of the highest quality with the most powerful and long-lasting motors, so I strongly encourage you to invest in any one of them. We also recommend other products that will go well for cutting your own hair.
Simply click each link to read the specs of each of the products at Amazon. Each Amazon vendor short mens hairstyles pictures sourced is of high quality and of established reputation, plus the price of each product below is extremely competitive and you won't find these products at a lower cost!
- Get this hair clipper: for a cordless hair clipper, this one is unbeatable. It lasts over one hour buzzing without a break and through the thickest hair, so you can take your time cutting your hair or go for a very detailed haircut (or cut the hair of your friends, your choice!). It also comes with a whole kit with everything needed for the perfect haircut or clip, including a range of blades so that you don't have to buy them separately. It's also made by Andis, and those guys know their stuff when it comes to clippers.
- Get this hair clipper set: this set comes with everything you need for a cord-using clipper. It not only comes with the clipper itself but also with a fast feed clipper as well as finisher, so you have the full spectrum of hair grooming tools to clip everything from your scalp hair (for the haircut) to your beard, sideburns and detailing the hairline. All the clipping tools are made by Oster, which are excellent manufacturers of barbershop equipment, so really, if you don't want a cordless clipper like the one above, go with this set for the ultimate hair-cutting experience.
If the price for the whole clipping set above doesn't fit your budget, you can also get the hair clipper alone though this Amazon vendor, although make sure to also buy this extra set of guide combs for a more flexible hair cutting experience!
- Get this 3 panel mirror: this mirror is great for giving yourself haircuts. Because it is made of three panels, you can adjust the angle so that you can see all sections of your head to clip your hair without any problems at all. Likewise the mirrors are magnifying so that you can zoom in whenever you want for a more precise look at what you're trimming or clipping. This means that this kind of paneled mirror is not only great for cutting your own hair but also for shaving and trimming your beard or mustache (or any body hair, actually).
- Get this set of barber scissors: do not cut your hair with kitchen scissors or any regular scissors! Grab the set of shears (aka barber scissors) in the link which are perfect for cutting your own hair and which will save you a lot of money down the road from not having to go so frequently to the barbershop or hairdresser. The set of scissors includes layering scissors which go great for removing bulk from your hair and for making your hair look sharper in an out-of-bed style. For the price of the set of shears in the link, you really cannot wrong.
- Get this hair wax: this wax goes very well for styling the undercut, the flat top, butch cut, Caesar cut and just about the rest of cuts where you want to leave your hair with hold but looking more natural than with hair gel.
- Get this hair gel: this hair gel with give you a harder dryer look, which goes very week for the Flat Top, Recon and any time you want your hair to stand up.
- Get this pomade: if you want to sweep or slick your hair in the undercut, then the pomade in the link will work very well.
- Get The Men's Hair Book: this book is a must for any men, full stop. The Men's Hair Book will teach you all about your hair from styling it to profiling it to the hair care strategy to follow (including nutrition for strong and fast growing hair). It's the best reading you could ever make, aside from our forum
15 Classic Short Hairstyles & Haircuts For Men That Won't Go Out of Special contest: win with cf and lucky!
Men's Short Hairstyles Pictures Gallery & Tips for Short Hair Cool
25 best ideas about Men's Short Haircuts on Pinterest Short guy
Short Haircuts for Men - Guide with Pictures, Tips and Advice
Men's Short Hairstyles Gallery Short Hairstyles For Men
Pictures of Men's Short Haircuts for Easy Maintenance
25 Best Men's Short Hairstyles Mens Hairstyles 2016
How to Style Your Hair (Male) (with Pictures) - wikiHow
The Best Celebrity Haircuts of 2016 Photos GQ
58 Black Men Dreadlocks Hairstyles Pictures
31 Inspirational Short Hairstyles for Men
82 Short Hairstyles & Haircuts For Men
Top 50 Short Men's Hairstyles
Pictures of men's hairstyles